Tag Dot

Fort Mill Grandparents’ Rights Lawyers

At the David W. Martin Law Group, our Fort Mill family law attorneys represent clients throughout South Carolina who want to maintain their relationships with their grandkids after a divorce or other circumstances threaten their connections to the minors they love.

We know there are many reasons that family dynamics become shuffled, and our York County grandparents’ rights attorneys are here to listen to your concerns and devise a legal strategy that allows you to remain a part of your grandkids’ lives.

Here is what you need to know to get started on your legal journey.

Can I Obtain Visitation Rights to My Grandchildren After Their Parents’ Divorce in South Carolina?

Grandparents play a significant role in the growth and well-being of children’s lives throughout South Carolina. However, when their son or daughter divorces the other parent, the frequency with which they see the grandkids can dwindle significantly. This is especially true if their child is not playing a major role in the kids’ lives.

When the children benefit from grandparent visitation, it may be ordered by the courts. The South Carolina family courts will hear all evidence that supports how and why the grandparents should have designated visitation time with their grandkids, especially if it does not involve interfering with the parent-child relationship.

When grandparents offer substantial benefits to being part of their grandkids’ lives, our Fort Mill, SC family law attorneys want them to pursue their rights and achieve success.

Can South Carolina Grandparents Pursue Custody of Their Grandchildren?

At the David W. Martin Law Group, our Fort Mill grandparents’ rights lawyers know that there are times when children will be much better off, and properly cared for and protected, when they live with their grandparents.

However, the South Carolina family courts will require compelling evidence to remove children from the home of their biological parent(s) or legally appointed guardians.

Typically, this requires physical proof that there is a severe and irreparable breakdown in the child’s parental unit.

Grandparents may be entitled to pursue custody of their grandchild when either of the child’s parents is/has:

  • Deceased.
  • Incarcerated.
  • Homeless.
  • Forfeited their parental rights.
  • Unfit, due to abuse, neglect, drug, or alcohol abuse.

No matter why you believe your grandchildren will live healthier and fuller lives in your care, or by having visitation rights, we want to hear your story, so we can apply our South Carolina family laws to your case and outline your legal rights and options to pursue the best outcome for your case. Contact us now to learn more.

What Happens If My Grandchild’s Parent Returns and Wants the Kids Back?

At the David W. Martin Law Group, our grandparents’ rights attorneys understand that even if you have had your grandchild living with you for an extended time while the parents were unable to care for them or when they could not be found, they can always come back and assume their rights.

This is a devastating scenario for grandparents throughout South Carolina. We understand. We also know that you may have significant legal rights to keep the children in your possession.

That may include scenarios where we can prove you are the primary caregiver and financial supporter of the child and qualify as a de facto custodian.

That includes circumstances where:

  • The child is under three years of age and has resided with the grandparent(s) for six months or longer.
  • The child is three years of age or older and has resided with the grandparent(s) for one year or longer.

We understand that being a part of your grandkids’ lives brings stability and love that cannot be substituted in other relationships, which is why we work so hard to preserve it. We can do the same for you, so you know exactly what your grandparents’ rights are in South Carolina.

We can help for:

Contact Our Grandparents’ Rights Attorneys in Fort Mill, South Carolina for a Consultation Today

Contact our David W. Martin Law Group grandparents’ rights attorneys in Fort Mill today by calling (803) 548-2468 to ensure your rights are protected throughout the legal process.


Message Us

David W Martin Law Group Logo

(803) 548-2468

Call today to be our next satisfied legal client.

David W. Martin Law Group

108 Springs Street
Fort Mill, SC 29715-1722
(803) 548-2468

1061 Red Ventures Drive, Suite 145
Fort Mill, S.C. 29707
(803) 548-2000

910 E. North Street
Greenville, SC 29601
(803) 590-1958

324 East St. John Street, Suite F-2
Spartanburg, SC 29302
(864) 606-0053

331 Oakland Avenue
Rock Hill, SC 29730
(803) 985-9200

110 Trader’s Cross, 1st Floor
Bluffton, SC 29909
(843) 949-4354

2411 N. Oak Street, Suite 307B, 3rd Floor,
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
(854) 854-5623

1240 Winnowing Way,
Suite 102 Office 1120
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466
(843) 800-8165

Columbia office

1501 Main Street,
Suite 507, Columbia, SC.

Contact Us

Text Us