At the David W. Martin Law Group, our Charlotte family law attorneys know that many important decisions are made during North Carolina divorce proceedings.

In some cases, when spouses cannot agree on the terms of their divorces privately or during mediation, the courts must intercede and order property divisionalimony, child custody, and/or child support decisions the couple must follow going forward.

Unfortunately, even when ordered by the North Carolina family courts, some fail to hold up their end of the mandated agreement.

Our Mecklenburg County family lawyers can help you determine the best practice for enforcing the court order or establish ways to modify the terms of the order, so they can be followed more closely.

Here is what our North Carolina residents need to know about their legal rights and options to enforce or modify family court orders.

How Can I Enforce a Family Law Court Order in North Carolina?

At the David W. Martin Law Group, our Charlotte family law attorneys know that revisiting legal matters with an ex-spouse, partner, or co-parent of your children is not only challenging but exhausting.

For this reason, many of our North Carolina residents simply let unpaid child support or sporadic custody and visitation go unchecked.

Unfortunately, it is often the children who suffer when both parents do not adequately provide financial or emotional support.

Our trusted family law attorneys in Charlotte can help you pursue solutions that allow the court order to be enforced.

The specific enforcement action will differ for each of our client’s needs but will begin with either a Motion for Contempt or a Motion for Order to Show Cause. During these proceedings, the court will restore our client’s rights after the other party failed to satisfy the terms of the court order.

If the offending party does not comply with the court order, the judge may find the other person in contempt — a purposeful violation of a court order — and will decide on a punishment.

Depending on the infraction, the court may mandate one or more of the following remedies:

  • Modification of the initial agreement to ensure it can be followed going forward
  • Compensatory visitation
  • Fines
  • Jail time
  • Wage withholding
  • Property transfer
  • The payment of your attorney fees by the other party

If you would like to hold your former spouse, partner, or co-parent responsible for their court order violations, contact our skilled Charlotte family law attorneys at David W. Martin Law Group today for help.

Our Experienced Family Law Attorneys in Charlotte, NC Represent Clients in the Following Legal Matters:

Can I Have a North Carolina Family Court Order Modified?

In some cases, an individual may violate a family law court order simply because they do not have the means to obey it.

This is often true with child support orders when the paying parent’s financial obligations change because of a job loss.

Other issues can arise during child custody and visitation, where one parent may want more time with the children or must pursue a modification of the court order because he or she moved farther away from the kids.

No matter your family law circumstances, you may seek a court order modification for just causes — but not to punish the other party for any personal behavior.

That means you cannot withhold alimony or child support simply because you think he or she does not need it. You also cannot withhold visitation, simply because the other parent was late for a scheduled pick-up.

Court orders are put in place for a reason. However, that does not mean they cannot be modified when necessary. We can help you understand when you are entitled to enforce or modify your family court order and help you do so, starting with a consultation today.

Contact Our Skilled Court Order Modification or Enforcement Attorneys in Charlotte, North Carolina Today

At the David W. Martin Law Group, our Charlotte court order enforcement or modification attorneys are here to listen to your legal challenges, so we can outline all potential strategies that will allow you to pursue the best outcome for your case.

Call us at 980-265-9724 today to discuss your case and get the help you need.

Our Charlotte family law attorneys represent clients throughout North and South Carolina and have convenient offices on both sides of the border to help provide the legal guidance and strategies our clients need to move forward with their new lives with confidence.


Message Us

David W Martin Law Group Logo

(803) 548-2468

Call today to be our next satisfied legal client.

David W. Martin Law Group

108 Springs St, Fort Mill,
SC 29715-1722
(803) 548-2468

1613 East North St., Suite 102
Greenville, SC 29607
(803) 590-1958

324 East St. John Street, Suite F-2
Spartanburg, SC 29302
(864) 606-0053

331 Oakland Avenue
Rock Hill, SC 29730
(803) 985-9200

110 Trader’s Cross, 1st Floor
Bluffton, SC 29909
(843) 949-4354

2411 N. Oak Street, Suite 301-M
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
(854) 854-5623

1240 Winnowing Way,
Suite 102 Office 1120
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466
(843) 800-8165

1808 East Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28203
(980) 265-9724

Text Us