Who Pays My Medical Bills After an Accident in South Carolina?

At the David W. Martin Law Group, our personal injury attorneys in Fort Mill understand that when you are hurt in a car accident, truck collision, or motorcycle crash, the last thing on your mind while seeking treatment is who is going to pay for your medical care.

That is, until the medical bills start arriving in the mail.

The financial pressure mounting medical bills place on our clients can quickly become overwhelming, which may interfere with their ability to heal properly. Our Fort Mill car accident lawyers want each of our residents to understand, if they are hurt in a traffic collision of any kind, they may have alternative coverage resources to help with their medical expenses until we can effectively pursue the negligent driver for their complete damages.

Who Will Pay My Medical Bills After I Am Hurt in an Accident?

If you are injured in an accident of any kind in South Carolina, you are financially responsible for all your medical bills as they are incurred.

Even if it was obvious that the driver who caused your injuries was negligent, say by speeding through a red light and crashing into your car, he or she is not responsible for ongoing medical bills, physical therapy expenses, or prescription costs as they arrive in your mailbox.

Instead, at-fault drivers are required to pay damages to settle your personal injury claim, which will include your medical bills. This takes time.

What Insurance Coverage Alternatives Do I Have?

Many insurance coverage types may allow a personal injury victim to seek the care they need without paying the expenses out of pocket.

They may include:

Private Health Insurance

If you have private health insurance coverage, use it for each medical appointment by presenting your insurance card or coverage details at each physician’s office before your appointment.

Your health insurance provider may produce a list of medical providers that take your insurance coverage, which will significantly cut down on any out of pocket costs, save for copays that are required by your provider.

Medicare or Medicaid 

Medicare or Medicaid coverage will operate like private health insurance coverage but may limit the number of physicians who can treat you in your area, as not all medical providers take Medicare or Medicaid. To avoid out of pocket costs, contact your provider for a list of physicians who accept this type of coverage.

Personal Injury Protection or Medical Payment Insurance Coverage

Personal Injury Protection — also called PIP coverage — or Medical Payment Insurance Coverage — also called MedPay coverage — are supplemental insurance coverage options that can be purchased with your vehicle’s insurance coverage.

This coverage is not required by South Carolina laws, but must be specifically requested and paid for as an addendum to your coverage.

Usually, PIP or MedPay policies will cover up to $10,000 in medical expenses, depending on your unique policy terms.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

According to the South Carolina Department of Insurance, all vehicle owners must carry uninsured motorists coverage.

That requirement a minimum of:

  • $25,000 per person for bodily injury
  • $50,000 for all persons injured
  • $25,000 for all property damage

When we pursue a personal injury claim against a negligent driver and are successful in our legal efforts, part of the settlement may include paying back your health insurance company for the medical expenses they paid. We will outline these details for you, so you know what to expect from the final settlement.

If you have questions about your insurance coverage and which policy should be pursued for your medical expenses, contact our personal injury lawyers in Greenville at (803) 548-2468 to learn more about the best approach to getting the medical care you deserve while paying the minimum out of pocket costs.

How Can I Pay My Medical Bills If I Do Not Have Any Insurance Coverage? 

If you do not have any of the insurance coverage types listed above, the treating healthcare provider may ask you to sign paperwork agreeing to the financial responsibility of all the medical bills you incur.

If we are handling your personal injury claim, we — as your attorneys — may also present medical providers with something called a “letter of protection.”

This establishes treatment options from qualified physicians for uninsured patients to protect the doctor’s fee with a legal promise that the medical professional will be paid out of your personal injury accident proceeds.

When financial recovery is solidified by a negotiated settlement or trial, those proceeds will be used to pay back your medical bills first.

This allows our clients to move forward with confidence, with no outstanding medical expenses at the conclusion of most cases.

If you have been injured in an accident, whether you have the appropriate insurance coverage or not, contact our Fort Mill, personal injury lawyers, by calling (803) 548-2468 to schedule a consultation today. We will provide the legal guidance you need to pursue the medical care you deserve using the resources that are at your disposal.


Message Us

David W Martin Law Group Logo

(803) 548-2468

Call today to be our next satisfied legal client.

David W. Martin Law Group

108 Springs Street
Fort Mill, SC 29715-1722
(803) 548-2468

1061 Red Ventures Drive, Suite 145
Fort Mill, S.C. 29707
(803) 548-2000

910 E. North Street
Greenville, SC 29601
(803) 590-1958

324 East St. John Street, Suite F-2
Spartanburg, SC 29302
(864) 606-0053

331 Oakland Avenue
Rock Hill, SC 29730
(803) 985-9200

110 Trader’s Cross, 1st Floor
Bluffton, SC 29909
(843) 949-4354

2411 N. Oak Street, Suite 307B, 3rd Floor,
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
(854) 854-5623

1240 Winnowing Way,
Suite 102 Office 1120
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466
(843) 800-8165

Columbia office

1501 Main Street,
Suite 507, Columbia, SC.

Contact Us

Text Us