Mediation Attorney in Greenville
Helping You End Your Marriage Peacefully
People often associate divorce with nasty courtroom battles, but the truth is that most couples tend to settle their case without going through litigation. In Greenville and many other counties throughout South Carolina, mediation is mandatory. Therefore, you should make the most of this process, so you can avoid hashing out a settlement agreement in court. At David W. Martin Attorney at Law, LLC, our Greenville office can help facilitate peaceful negotiations between you and your spouse, so you can achieve a resolution that works for both you.
Contact David W. Martin Attorney at Law, LLC in Greenville at (803) 590-1958 to set up an initial consultation and find out more about what we can do for you.
The Benefits of Mediation
Although mediation is mandatory, spouses are not required to reach an agreement. If you cannot agree to the terms of your divorce, a judge will render these decisions for you during the litigation process. However, you might not necessarily be happy with the outcome, which is why you should try to cooperate with your spouse during your mediation sessions.
Below are some of the benefits of the mediation process:
- Given the unpredictable and adversarial nature of litigation, this method is often more expensive. Mediation, on the other hand, is usually exceptionally cost-effective.
- Litigation is typically pricier because it takes more time than most other approaches, including mediation. It can take several months or even years before your divorce is finalized. Mediation, however, is a speedier process, especially since you can create your own schedule.
- A judge’s decisions might not satisfy you or your spouse’s needs. Through mediation, spouses can maintain control over their own case, which increases the likelihood of mutual satisfaction with the results.
- If you have children, mediation can help you and your co-parent maintain a functional, less hostile relationship. Remember, your marriage might be over, but you will still raise your children together. Mediation can set the groundwork for a more functional co-parenting relationship, which will benefit you now and for many years to come.
- Unlike litigation, when spouses choose mediation, the details of their divorce remain private. Therefore, if you have any concerns about others having access to this personal matter, you can rest assured that mediation will provide privacy, unless you and your spouse state otherwise.
If you cannot reach an agreement on every key issue, such as child custody, spousal support, or property division, your case will go through litigation. However, the progress you made on the issues you agreed on will remain, which can shave off some of the time you spend in court.
Is Divorce Mediation Right for Me?
Unless you believe your spouse is hiding assets or you are in an abusive marriage, mediation can present a vast array of benefits, which is why it is mandatory. Therefore, try to view this as an opportunity to achieve a settlement that protects your interests rather than another step in the divorce process.
Contact Our Experienced Mediator Today!
At David W. Martin Attorney at Law, LLC in Greenville, our office is experienced in facilitating peaceful negotiations between spouses. The divorce process does not have to be an emotionally ravaging process. With a compassionate mediator, you can amicably dissolve your marriage while keeping costs low and reducing stress and heartache.
Contactour law office today at (803) 590-1958 to schedule a consultation.
Caring and always follows up with his clients.- Cynthia O.
David's willingness to go above and beyond for his client astounded me.- Christopher M.
David was so much more than an attorney!- Tabitha F.
I highly recommend David Martin!- Amanda H.
He is such a caring person and a great lawyer!- Denise W.