Divorce proceedings can be complex and emotional for the parties involved. One of your first decisions to make when you decide to enter divorce litigation is whether you should hire an attorney. Fort Mill divorce lawyers provide numerous benefits for their clients and allow for a smoother process. However, traditional divorce attorney services may not be right for everyone.
Can You Negotiate Divorce Without a Lawyer?
Not all couples need a lawyer to end a marriage, especially if they agree on various negotiation topics. If you and your spouse agree on what you want the divorce to look like and its various outcomes, you could negotiate an agreement without a lawyer.
However, you will need to discuss a multitude of stressful topics that are important for the successful division of assets and rights.
• Child custody
• Child support
• Visitation rights and scheduling
• Division of property and other shared assets
• Alimony payments
If you and your spouse do not agree on the ideal outcomes for the above topics, you should obtain the services of a divorce lawyer. An attorney can provide mediation services and make sure that you discuss all necessary topics to facilitate a successful divorce.
The Benefits of a Divorce Attorney
You may experience hesitations when determining whether to hire a divorce attorney. Expensive legal fees may deter you from retaining these services, among other factors. However, divorce lawyers are an important investment to make to protect your assets and your rights.
An experienced divorce attorney can provide multiple benefits for you and your spouse.
• An attorney has the necessary legal background and training to facilitate a problem-free divorce. He or she will make sure you and your spouse cover all necessary topics in your negotiations.
• An attorney will have a strong knowledge of South Carolina divorce law, ensuring that your divorce proceedings follow specific state statutes.
• An attorney can file necessary legal paperwork on your behalf, making the litigation process smoother and less stressful.
• An attorney can advise you if a divorce settlement is beneficial for your interests, your assets, and your relationship with your children.
• An attorney can provide mediation and dispute resolution services in case you face difficulty negotiating with your spouse. Either the attorney will have conflict resolution training or have access to a neutral mediation professional. This will help you avoid a divorce trial for as long as possible.
• An attorney can advocate on your behalf if you do not have the skills, energy, or time to prepare for negotiation with your spouse. This will help keep you from agreeing to a settlement that you do not want.
• An attorney can help diffuse emotional situations during divorce proceedings. Often, trauma and sadness perpetuate these cases. Divorce lawyers have years of experience handling these situations and can help bring tensions down when they arise.
How Do You Know When to Hire a Divorce Lawyer?
If you and your spouse cannot agree on divorce outcomes, or you feel as if your spouse will not honor your rights during negotiations, you should hire a divorce lawyer.
• If your spouse is abusive, you should retain a divorce lawyer. He or she may try to control and intimidate you during the negotiations, leading to a less desirable outcome for you. You can prevent this from occurring by hiring a divorce lawyer to represent you.
• If you think your spouse is lying or trying to harm you through the divorce, obtain a lawyer. Your attorney will help set the facts of the case straight and protect you from potential harm.
• If your divorce involved complex assets or children, you should hire an attorney. Divorces cases involving these factors can quickly become emotional and highly complex. Your attorney can guide you through this process and make sure you follow all applicable laws.
Hiring an attorney is an investment necessary to protect your assets and parental rights and facilitate complex, emotional litigation.